Skip to main content

Remove Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications

Recently I was going on a trip and wanted to pack up my iPhone.  iTunes, the bane of my existence, wouldn't back up my phone unless I updated it to the newest version.  Fine.... I upgraded iTunes (because I had no choice).   When I rebooted, my PC was dead... apparently the power supply decided it was a good time to die.

I ordered a new power supply, and after I installed it, I was getting this "You might be a victim of software counterfeiting" error, with an annoying error displayed in the lower right about Windows Genuine Advantage, saying my "Volume License was blocked."

I called Microsoft, as I have a purchased (with the new PC) license, and started my 2-hour long run around.   First they said it wasn't Windows, but some other software, and directed me to a number (that was conveniently closed).  I called back.  I told them it was Windows, no other software, and gave them the product key.  They had me check (Start->Run->type "oobe/mssoobe a"  and it said my product key was activated.  The Microsoft agent then proceeded to tell me that I had a valid product key, which was activated, but not validated.  I asked him to validate it.  He said he would transfer me, but somehow I got hung up on.  I called back and tried to get MS to "Validate" my Windows copy.   After a couple of calls and transfers where nobody seemed to know what they were doing, I finally got an agent who said that Microsoft only provides technical support for 60 days after purchase, and she'd be happy to help me validate my copy of windows.... for $99/hour.   

I told her that I didn't need technical support, I needed them to validate my copy of Windows, and asking me to pay to remove an error that they generated, which amounts to extortion, was out of the question.   She said that all she could do then was to email me instructions on how to validate it myself.  

Even before I got the email, which was basically just this unhelpful url: (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/genuine/product-key#T1=tab03), 
I was fed up with Microsoft, so I Googled how to disable Windows Genuine Advantage.    Here is what worked for me, and actually seemed to speed up my Windows XP box:


I'll re-post the instructions here, in case the site goes down.  Happy MS Hacking!  

  1. 1
    Run as an administrator with no other user accounts running.
  2. 2
    Launch Windows Task Manager (Processes). Leave it open.
  3. 3
    Navigate to to C:\Windows\System32, and find WgaTray.exe.
  4. 4
    Right-click on WgaTray.exe, and select Delete. Leave the deletion confirmation box open.
  5. 5
    Go back to Windows Task Manager and click Wgatray.exe.
  6. 6
    Click End Process. When you are prompted for a confirmation to terminate the process, align the “End Process” confirmation box with the previous “Delete File” confirmation box, or at least have them close together. Do this because you'll need to do both actions quickly — at least within 2 or 3 seconds.
  7. 7
    Click Yes in both boxes, quickly. Click on Yes on the Task Manager prompt (to “end the process”) and then quickly press Yes on the deletion confirmation (to delete the actual file). You’ll need to repeat this if you miss it.
  8. 8
    Launch the Registry Editor. Click Start, then Run, and enter regedit.
  9. 9
    Browse to the following location:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify
  10. 10
    Delete the folder WgaLogon and all its contents.
  11. 11
    Reboot Windows XP.
  12. 12
    Check your work. As a precaution, after you have followed the above instructions:
    • Go to Control Panel > Security Center > Automatic Update Settings.
    • Select the third option, “Notify me but don’t automatically download or install them."
    • Click OK.
    • The next time the “Windows Updates” icon appears in the system tray, click on the icon and it will display a list of available updates. Windows won’t automatically download and install them anymore.
    • If “Windows Genuine Advantage Notification Tool” is there, uncheck it and press enter to download everything else (if you want to). You can right-click to “hide updates” that you don’t want.
    • Select “Don’t notify me about these updates again”, so that they will be ignored every time updates are downloaded.
    • Just remember, from now on, make sure to check the list of downloads so that you don’t install any new versions of this “tool”.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

HP c6180 Printer and Vista

Hp c6180 driver issues with Vista Home Premium My wife has a Vista Home Premium laptop, and the HP C6180 Photosmart printer keeps disappearing from her available printers.  The only way I've found to fix the problem is to reinstall all the HP software. When I do this, I have to download the (large..507M software from HP, or reinstall the printer (ONLY the printer, not the scanner) with the installation disk, as the drivers are not discovered with a "Windows Update" setting.  My guess is that is because HP doesn't like people to install only the printer driver, which would be easy, but they want folks to install all their crapware as well, so they are withholding the drivers from the on-line Microsoft printer database.  So keep your installation CD!  I've also found that unless I install everything on the CD or in the Full Version download (HP Customer Participation Program, HP Imaging Device functions, HP OCR SW, HP All-In-one SW, HP Photosmart Essential, HP

atftpd vs tftpd-hpa

Recently I was trying to tftp files from a Windows computer to a Kali box.   One version of Windows worked, but another didn't.    After much troubleshooting, here were my symptoms: I could tftp a file from-to any Kali box from-to another Kali box I could NOT tftp files to a specific Windows 7 box from any Kali box I could NOT tftp files to a Chrooted-Ubuntu-Chromebook box from a Kali box After MUCH troubleshooting, going through every setting in atftpd, it seemed like it literally was a client OS problem.  Different clients simply would not download files---unacceptable. Thus, I switched to tftpd-hpa.   To install: apt-get install tftpd-hpa files go to/come from /srv/tftp, but it needs to be a tftp user. Thus, I needed to: chroot -R /srv/tftp Also, if you want to be able to put files ON the tftp server (from a client), you need to modify /etc/default/tftpd-hpa: change "TFTP_OPTIONS="--secure"  to "TFTP_OPTIONS="--secure --create" I al

Security Onion on the Antsle

My Setup of Security Onion on the Antsle: Recently my IDS box, an Intel Atom D2500 Fanless Mini-ITX PC, D2500CCE, died.  Truth be told, I think it came from the factory in a bad state, as I originally thought I had a bad graphics driver, but I then noticed that, after much troubleshooting, it wasn't a driver issue at all.  The box just sometimes wouldn't boot up correctly with video.  It seems heat related, something like not enough thermal paste on the CPU, as after it is powered off for a while it is more likely to boot than when it is warm.  Along with that issue, this box maxed out at 4GB of RAM (only has 2 memory slots, each of which will only take a 2GB card max) and had a single processor, so it was under powered for Security Onion. So, I decided to quit limping along on P.O.S. boxes, and buy a little more heavyweight box for my networked IDS.   Security Onion requires a minimum of 8GB of RAM, and 4 cores per their specs page https://github.com/secur