Skip to main content

HP c6180 "Ink System has Failed" error 0x18a0106

About a year ago our pretty expensive HP All-In-One c6180 Printer, Copier, Fax, Scanner quit working, giving the error "Ink System Has Failed.  Unable to copy, receive faxes, or print.  Refer to printer documentation.  Error 0x18a01016"

My wife was fed up with this P.O.S printer, as it kept deleting its drivers from her laptop, and we have continually had problems re-installing the drivers.   HP loves to make money off of their consumers, and they can't just give you a printer driver.  They have to give you a 1GB printer, photo-editor, Adobe Acrobat crapware, Facebook auto-poster, desktop manager, their own search engine, and such worthless stuff, so I was continually downloading their 800MB file and re-installing...  See this post for more details: http://beboblog.johnbebo.com/2011/05/09/hp-c6180-printer-and-vista.aspx

Anyway, I had some time today, and although we've already bought a replacement because my wife was so fed up with that P.O.S, I still thought I'd see if I could fix the 'Ink System Failed' problem.  I'm kind of handy, and thought the printer might make something good for our kids... 

I followed the instructions for taking my printer apart, which were pretty good, at:

It wasn't my brand of printer, but it was close enough.   After I got it apart, I noticed my ink pad (upper right of printer) was crusty with dried ink, and there were a couple of other anomalies, like the printer head had come off its wheel.   So I took it apart, all the way apart, gave it a thorough cleaning, and put it back together.  I still had the same error.

I'm done wasting my time on this expensive-yet-worthless printer.  I'll either sell it on Craigs List for parts, or try the fix this guy has at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0tmDwTUtDg

I think his method is the best.  His video is worth the watch.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ADS-B plotting with Kali (and other SDR goodies)

Recently I wanted to try some Software Defined Radio stuff.   
I had a RTL-SDR, FM+DAB, DVB-T USB Stick Set with RTL2832U & R820T. that I got from: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C37AZXK/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
But, even though this dongle would break out FM radio stations, and ATC frequencies (like the local Ground Control, tower, and even ATIS), which was cool, it wouldn't break out ADS-B.   
Thus, I bought a Vantech Green Mini RTL2832U R820T DVB-T SDR DAB FM USB DIGITAL TV Tuner Receiver RTL-SDR Project + DAB dongle Tuner MCX Input from Amazon, and tried this.  
This dongle was able to listen to the 1090MHz frequency required for ADS-B (as it goes from 25MHz to 1700MHz).  There were tons of Windows programs out there for breaking out and plotting ADS-B Mode S broadcasts, but not many for Linux.  
For Kali Linux, here's how I got it running and plotting planes around my home:
0) before you start, you should do an apt-get update to ensure you hav…

atftpd vs tftpd-hpa

Recently I was trying to tftp files from a Windows computer to a Kali box.   One version of Windows worked, but another didn't.    After much troubleshooting, here were my symptoms:

I could tftp a file from-to any Kali box from-to another Kali box
I could NOT tftp files to a specific Windows 7 box from any Kali box
I could NOT tftp files to a Chrooted-Ubuntu-Chromebook box from a Kali box

After MUCH troubleshooting, going through every setting in atftpd, it seemed like it literally was a client OS problem.  Different clients simply would not download files---unacceptable.

Thus, I switched to tftpd-hpa.   To install:
apt-get install tftpd-hpa

files go to/come from /srv/tftp, but it needs to be a tftp user. Thus, I needed to:
chroot -R /srv/tftp

Also, if you want to be able to put files ON the tftp server (from a client), you need to modify /etc/default/tftpd-hpa:
change "TFTP_OPTIONS="--secure" to "TFTP_OPTIONS="--secure --create"

I also changed the IP li…

Temper Temperature monitor on a Beaglebone Black

Beaglebone Black as a temperature monitor:

Recently I wanted to monitor the temperature of my shed.  I thought I'd use a small computer such as a Raspberry Pi or a Beaglebone or Odroid.

My Raspberry Pi boxes were all in use, so I grabbed my Beaglebone, which was doing nothing.

I flashed it with the Debian9.32018-03-054GB SDIoTimage, but that seemed like it was running lots of bloatware and the ethernet interface wouldn't take a static IP with /etc/network/interfaces.

So I went with the Debian9.32018-01-284GB SDLXQTi image instead.  I still had the same problem, that lots of junk was running, and I couldn't configure my interface by modifying /etc/network/interfaces

So my first step was to get rid of all the bloatware.  If you're using a Raspberry Pi or something, you can skip this and just go to the second step below

STEP 1--Remove Blotatware from Beaglebone Black:

With some searching, I came across this post:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/inte…