Skip to main content

FrameBuffer in Backtrack

Recently I had BT5 R3 installed on a Dell Latitude laptop, and it was working fine.  Then I needed to clone the hard drive, so I used DiscCopy 2.3 to copy the drive--No issues. 

However, when I went to boot back into my BT install, the screen was all messed up immediately after it hit the splash screen.  I couldn't figure out how this happened, as I didn't mess with the OS at all (I copied the drives outside of the OS, booting to the DiscCopy CD).

Initially I was worried I had a hardware failure, so to test it I booted into the original Windows 7 Drive that came with the laptop (when I installed BT I set that drive aside, as I don't normally use Windows).   Windows 7 booted fine--no hardware failure.  

However, when I booted to a BT instance I had happened to have installed on that same Windows 7 hard drive, a drive that was cleanly working when I put it in storage, it had the same video problems!  

So my symptoms were that I had a video problem with BT only, that spanned across hard drives!  How the heck was that possible I wondered?  Turns out it was my FrameBuffer.   This is a hardware device that renders the graphics for the OS--thus it is hard drive independent, which explains why I had a problem that persisted across hard drives, and even with the BT bootable iso!  

So to fix this, I booted the BT bootable iso, but into "noDRM drivers" mode.  This allowed me to actually boot the previously unbootable BT iso, and mount the hard drive.   I then edited the /boot/grub/grub.conf file to say "vga=normal nomodeset"   The 'nomodeset' is key, as it told the OS not to load the framebuffer.   

I booted up, and Bob's your Uncle---BT is working again!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

atftpd vs tftpd-hpa

Recently I was trying to tftp files from a Windows computer to a Kali box.   One version of Windows worked, but another didn't.    After much troubleshooting, here were my symptoms:

I could tftp a file from-to any Kali box from-to another Kali box
I could NOT tftp files to a specific Windows 7 box from any Kali box
I could NOT tftp files to a Chrooted-Ubuntu-Chromebook box from a Kali box

After MUCH troubleshooting, going through every setting in atftpd, it seemed like it literally was a client OS problem.  Different clients simply would not download files---unacceptable.

Thus, I switched to tftpd-hpa.   To install:
apt-get install tftpd-hpa

files go to/come from /srv/tftp, but it needs to be a tftp user. Thus, I needed to:
chroot -R /srv/tftp

Also, if you want to be able to put files ON the tftp server (from a client), you need to modify /etc/default/tftpd-hpa:
change "TFTP_OPTIONS="--secure" to "TFTP_OPTIONS="--secure --create"

I also changed the IP li…

ADS-B plotting with Kali (and other SDR goodies)

Recently I wanted to try some Software Defined Radio stuff.   
I had a RTL-SDR, FM+DAB, DVB-T USB Stick Set with RTL2832U & R820T. that I got from: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C37AZXK/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
But, even though this dongle would break out FM radio stations, and ATC frequencies (like the local Ground Control, tower, and even ATIS), which was cool, it wouldn't break out ADS-B.   
Thus, I bought a Vantech Green Mini RTL2832U R820T DVB-T SDR DAB FM USB DIGITAL TV Tuner Receiver RTL-SDR Project + DAB dongle Tuner MCX Input from Amazon, and tried this.  
This dongle was able to listen to the 1090MHz frequency required for ADS-B (as it goes from 25MHz to 1700MHz).  There were tons of Windows programs out there for breaking out and plotting ADS-B Mode S broadcasts, but not many for Linux.  
For Kali Linux, here's how I got it running and plotting planes around my home:
0) before you start, you should do an apt-get update to ensure you hav…

Temper Temperature monitor on a Beaglebone Black

Beaglebone Black as a temperature monitor:

Recently I wanted to monitor the temperature of my shed.  I thought I'd use a small computer such as a Raspberry Pi or a Beaglebone or Odroid.

My Raspberry Pi boxes were all in use, so I grabbed my Beaglebone, which was doing nothing.

I flashed it with the Debian9.32018-03-054GB SDIoTimage, but that seemed like it was running lots of bloatware and the ethernet interface wouldn't take a static IP with /etc/network/interfaces.

So I went with the Debian9.32018-01-284GB SDLXQTi image instead.  I still had the same problem, that lots of junk was running, and I couldn't configure my interface by modifying /etc/network/interfaces

So my first step was to get rid of all the bloatware.  If you're using a Raspberry Pi or something, you can skip this and just go to the second step below

STEP 1--Remove Blotatware from Beaglebone Black:

With some searching, I came across this post:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/inte…