Skip to main content

Moving /opt to new disk

Recently I was playing with a Kali VM and I installed so much stuff to it that I used up the disk!  Literally, I was at 100% used!  Yikes!  

I started to try to delete unnecessary files, trash, cached apt packages, etc, but quickly came to the conclusion that I wanted everything that I had on the Kali VM, and my disk was still 96% full.  So I needed a way to offload files that I still wanted.  

I looked through my VM, which had a single 20GB hard drive, and saw that /usr had 10GB by itself, and /opt had 4GB.  So I decided to create a new virtual hard drive, move over my /opt files, and change /opt's location in /etc/fstab to point to the new directory.   This solved my problem, as my drive that USED to say 96% full, now says 73% full, just by moving /opt.   

Here's how I moved it:

I added a new virtual hard drive in VirtualBox that was 12GB.  
I booted up the VM, went into fdisk, and noted (by doing 'ls /dev/sd*') that my new drive was called sdb.  I used fdisk to create a new primary partition and write the changes.  

I then made a file system on that newly created partition with:
#mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sdb1

Then I went into single user mode to ensure that I could copy over all the /opt files
#init 1

After I booted into single user mode, I did this:
#mkdir /mnt/Disk2opt
#mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/Disk2opt
#cp -avx /opt/* /mnt/Disk2opt/
#mv /opt /opt_old
#ln -s /mnt/Disk2opt /opt

I then added this line to the /etc/fstab
'/dev/sdb1   /opt   ext3    defaults   1  2'

That was it!   After I rebooted and saw that everything was working fine, I deleted the /opt_old directory, and freed up all that space.  That made my 96% used drive go down to 73% used!   Awesome!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ADS-B plotting with Kali (and other SDR goodies)

Recently I wanted to try some Software Defined Radio stuff.   
I had a RTL-SDR, FM+DAB, DVB-T USB Stick Set with RTL2832U & R820T. that I got from: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C37AZXK/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
But, even though this dongle would break out FM radio stations, and ATC frequencies (like the local Ground Control, tower, and even ATIS), which was cool, it wouldn't break out ADS-B.   
Thus, I bought a Vantech Green Mini RTL2832U R820T DVB-T SDR DAB FM USB DIGITAL TV Tuner Receiver RTL-SDR Project + DAB dongle Tuner MCX Input from Amazon, and tried this.  
This dongle was able to listen to the 1090MHz frequency required for ADS-B (as it goes from 25MHz to 1700MHz).  There were tons of Windows programs out there for breaking out and plotting ADS-B Mode S broadcasts, but not many for Linux.  
For Kali Linux, here's how I got it running and plotting planes around my home:
0) before you start, you should do an apt-get update to ensure you hav…

atftpd vs tftpd-hpa

Recently I was trying to tftp files from a Windows computer to a Kali box.   One version of Windows worked, but another didn't.    After much troubleshooting, here were my symptoms:

I could tftp a file from-to any Kali box from-to another Kali box
I could NOT tftp files to a specific Windows 7 box from any Kali box
I could NOT tftp files to a Chrooted-Ubuntu-Chromebook box from a Kali box

After MUCH troubleshooting, going through every setting in atftpd, it seemed like it literally was a client OS problem.  Different clients simply would not download files---unacceptable.

Thus, I switched to tftpd-hpa.   To install:
apt-get install tftpd-hpa

files go to/come from /srv/tftp, but it needs to be a tftp user. Thus, I needed to:
chroot -R /srv/tftp

Also, if you want to be able to put files ON the tftp server (from a client), you need to modify /etc/default/tftpd-hpa:
change "TFTP_OPTIONS="--secure" to "TFTP_OPTIONS="--secure --create"

I also changed the IP li…

Temper Temperature monitor on a Beaglebone Black

Beaglebone Black as a temperature monitor:

Recently I wanted to monitor the temperature of my shed.  I thought I'd use a small computer such as a Raspberry Pi or a Beaglebone or Odroid.

My Raspberry Pi boxes were all in use, so I grabbed my Beaglebone, which was doing nothing.

I flashed it with the Debian9.32018-03-054GB SDIoTimage, but that seemed like it was running lots of bloatware and the ethernet interface wouldn't take a static IP with /etc/network/interfaces.

So I went with the Debian9.32018-01-284GB SDLXQTi image instead.  I still had the same problem, that lots of junk was running, and I couldn't configure my interface by modifying /etc/network/interfaces

So my first step was to get rid of all the bloatware.  If you're using a Raspberry Pi or something, you can skip this and just go to the second step below

STEP 1--Remove Blotatware from Beaglebone Black:

With some searching, I came across this post:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/inte…