Skip to main content

Dell 700m Hackintosh

Recently I wanted to redo my installation of Leopard OS-X on my Dell 700m laptop.   I had this working once, but lost the OS-X in one of my many re-installs of multiple Operating Systems.  

To install OS-X, I took out my Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD, and booted up.  Below are the instructions to make this work with the Dell 700m:

1) I put a fan on my laptop, as this install caused it to heat up to the point that it would shut down with no fan
2) I ensured that any previous MBR changes were wiped by nuking the MBR 
3) I booted to the Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD.  Yes, I know there are newer versions, but I could never get them to work.  Booting will take 30-45 minutes... be patient.  
4) Select English 
4) Select Utilities->Disk Utility->Select the partition you are going to install to->Erase->Volume format is Extended Journaled->Erase->Erase->Close Disk Utility.   This will format the partition you want to install Leopard onto.  Here's a screenshot of this:



5) At the Welcome screen, select Continue->Agree to the EULA->Select Disk->Continue
6) This is the IMPORTANT PART!!!  Select CUSTOMIZE, and chose the following settings:



7) After you hit install, skip the disk check... this takes another hour or two if you do it
8) Wait another 45 minutes.  The system should present a Success screen like the below for a minute or so:



9) If your system reboots on its own (because you didn't see the above and select 'reboot'), LEAVE THE DVD IN THE TRAY AND DON'T PRESS ANYTHING.   It will boot into the OS.  Again, this takes a while... let it sit and wait.
10)  You should be greeted with a OS-X Welcome Screen!

Here's a shot of the final working Leopard OS-X on the dell 700m:



The bad part is that the install takes over the bootloader.  If you only have windows, that is fine.  The Darwin bootloader recognized my Windows (and NTFS data) partition easily.   However, If you have Linux also, you're a little screwed.  Since I have a COUPLE of Linux installations, Darwin won't cut it for me.   

So, I used Acronis and restored my MBR and Track0 from my previous Ubuntu install.  This bootloader works to tripple-boot into Ubuntu, Backtrack, and Windows.  I then booted into Ubuntu, and did a "update-grub" to update my grub file.  Ubuntu correctly noted that the Mac OS is on (hd0,1) and put it in my bootloader, but when I tried to boot to it, it just dumped me back to the bootloader.   Here's the entry that Ubuntu made:

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
menuentry "Mac OS X (32-bit) (on /dev/sda1)" {
    insmod hfsplus
    set root='(hd0,1)'
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 5229c70155a1c32e
        insmod vbe
        set do_resume=0
        if [ /var/vm/sleepimage -nt10 / ]; then
           if xnu_resume /var/vm/sleepimage; then
             set do_resume=1
           fi
        fi
        if [ $do_resume == 0 ]; then
           xnu_uuid 5229c70155a1c32e uuid
           if [ -f /Extra/DSDT.aml ]; then
              acpi -e /Extra/DSDT.aml
           fi
           xnu_kernel /mach_kernel boot-uuid=${uuid} rd=*uuid
           if [ /System/Library/Extensions.mkext -nt /System/Library/Extensions ]; then
              xnu_mkext /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
           else
              xnu_kextdir /System/Library/Extensions
           fi
           if [ -f /Extra/Extensions.mkext ]; then
              xnu_mkext /Extra/Extensions.mkext
           fi
           if [ -d /Extra/Extensions ]; then
              xnu_kextdir /Extra/Extensions
           fi
           if [ -f /Extra/devprop.bin ]; then
              xnu_devprop_load /Extra/devprop.bin
           fi
           if [ -f /Extra/splash.jpg ]; then
              insmod jpeg
              xnu_splash /Extra/splash.jpg
           fi
           if [ -f /Extra/splash.png ]; then
              insmod png
              xnu_splash /Extra/splash.png
           fi
           if [ -f /Extra/splash.tga ]; then
              insmod tga
              xnu_splash /Extra/splash.tga
           fi
        fi
}


Since version 10.10 Ubuntu went to the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file (that you're not supposed to edit), and this has a bunch of stuff I'm not used to in the old (easier/better) bootloader.   I've tried setting my partition entry to:

menuentry "Mac OS-X" {
             insmod htfsplus
             set root='(hd0,1)'
             chainloader +1
}

But that didn't work... it dumps me to a HFS+ Partition Error when I try booting to it.   

Here's a shot of the information that fdisk shows:



On my disk, 
hd1 is Leopard
hd2 is .... I guess it is unallocated
hd3 is Windows
hd4 is a Data partition
hd5 is a swap
hd6 is Ubuntu
hd7 is Backtrack

Here's a shot of gparted:


Anyone have any advice on how to make my bootloader boot to my OSX Partition?   If I restore the Darwin bootloader, it boots fine, so I know the OS works great.  Now I just have to get grub to boot it.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HP c6180 Printer and Vista

Hp c6180 driver issues with Vista Home Premium My wife has a Vista Home Premium laptop, and the HP C6180 Photosmart printer keeps disappearing from her available printers.  The only way I've found to fix the problem is to reinstall all the HP software. When I do this, I have to download the (large..507M software from HP, or reinstall the printer (ONLY the printer, not the scanner) with the installation disk, as the drivers are not discovered with a "Windows Update" setting.  My guess is that is because HP doesn't like people to install only the printer driver, which would be easy, but they want folks to install all their crapware as well, so they are withholding the drivers from the on-line Microsoft printer database.  So keep your installation CD!  I've also found that unless I install everything on the CD or in the Full Version download (HP Customer Participation Program, HP Imaging Device functions, HP OCR SW, HP All-In-one SW, HP Photosmart Essential, HP

atftpd vs tftpd-hpa

Recently I was trying to tftp files from a Windows computer to a Kali box.   One version of Windows worked, but another didn't.    After much troubleshooting, here were my symptoms: I could tftp a file from-to any Kali box from-to another Kali box I could NOT tftp files to a specific Windows 7 box from any Kali box I could NOT tftp files to a Chrooted-Ubuntu-Chromebook box from a Kali box After MUCH troubleshooting, going through every setting in atftpd, it seemed like it literally was a client OS problem.  Different clients simply would not download files---unacceptable. Thus, I switched to tftpd-hpa.   To install: apt-get install tftpd-hpa files go to/come from /srv/tftp, but it needs to be a tftp user. Thus, I needed to: chroot -R /srv/tftp Also, if you want to be able to put files ON the tftp server (from a client), you need to modify /etc/default/tftpd-hpa: change "TFTP_OPTIONS="--secure"  to "TFTP_OPTIONS="--secure --create" I al

Security Onion on the Antsle

My Setup of Security Onion on the Antsle: Recently my IDS box, an Intel Atom D2500 Fanless Mini-ITX PC, D2500CCE, died.  Truth be told, I think it came from the factory in a bad state, as I originally thought I had a bad graphics driver, but I then noticed that, after much troubleshooting, it wasn't a driver issue at all.  The box just sometimes wouldn't boot up correctly with video.  It seems heat related, something like not enough thermal paste on the CPU, as after it is powered off for a while it is more likely to boot than when it is warm.  Along with that issue, this box maxed out at 4GB of RAM (only has 2 memory slots, each of which will only take a 2GB card max) and had a single processor, so it was under powered for Security Onion. So, I decided to quit limping along on P.O.S. boxes, and buy a little more heavyweight box for my networked IDS.   Security Onion requires a minimum of 8GB of RAM, and 4 cores per their specs page https://github.com/secur